I decided in early 2007 to totally re-wire the car. It was at this time that I also did the interior strip and insulation in preparation for the air-con. It ended up being a big year of mods - re-wire, air-con, collapsible column and power steering.
The wiring in the car hadn’t caused too much grief, apart from ignition components that came from the Premier.
I picked up a new 21 circuit wiring kit a few other goodies from my mate Glenn at Airide.
I started by completing stripping all the old wiring - very satisfying - it went everywhere and had been sliced into, re-routed and messed up the engine bay. Some was original so glad to see it go after 50 years.
It took about 6 weeks to completely re-wire, and a lot of reading up and talking to people to get the best design. The main features are:
Optima sealed battery now in the boot
21 circuit fused box with labeled wiring GM colour coded
Hidden wiring in the engine bay - routed through the guards
50 amp fuse from starter motor to fuse box
Circuit breakers used for feeding hot power to relays and fu
Ignition module and coil hidden under the dash.
Dakota Digital LED Tail lights
Dakota Digital Thermo Fan computer
A couple of shots:
Looking behind the instrument cluster, fusebox on the right, at left is the big 50 amp fuse. It still looks messy under the dash even with new wiring!
Under centre of dash - housing ignition module, coil and DD Thermo box. To the left of the stereo is the HT wiper motor.
Dakota Digital LED Tail light, an easy install and adding to the amount of DD gear in the car. When wiring the tail lights, got tripped up on the need to wire in diodes to stop power going to indicators when brakes applied.